Our Redeemer Lutheran Church Logo

About Us

Outside-ChurchBy God’s grace alone, Our Redeemer is a dynamic congregation of approximately 2300 souls who claim the Lord Jesus Christ as their personal Savior. We are thankful that by the direction of God’s Spirit, the members of this congregation have supported a vibrant ministry of preaching, teaching and reaching out for Christ into the Milwaukee metropolitan area for 80 years.

In 1927 a survey of the Wauwatosa area was conducted by the South Wisconsin District which uncovered the need for a Lutheran church to serve an expanding population. On September 30, 1928, a small mission church began in a portable, framed chapel, lead by Rev. Frank Selle of Emmaus Lutheran Church. Eighteen children attended the first Sunday School. Rev. Erich Keller remained in charge of the fledgling mission until February 1930, when Rev. Paul Zanow was installed as the first pastor, sharing his time jointly with Pilgrim Lutheran Church.

The members of this mission church organized into a congregation on May 26, 1931 and chose the name “The Evangelical Lutheran Church of Our Redeemer of Wauwatosa and Vicinity”. God provided the leaders with a vision for the future that, from the very beginning, included the inestimable value of Christian day school education.

Our Redeemer’s first school opened to 16 students on September 9, 1931 in a portable chapel on North Avenue in Wauwatosa. In January 1932, a chapel/school building was dedicated on 88th and Meinecke. By 1949 the one room school had grown to three rooms when it became a consolidated school with Elm Grove, Covenant and Beautiful Savior Lutheran Churches.

Throughout the years, the Lord has blessed Our Redeemer many times over. Today Our Redeemer is located in the building dedicated on February 25th, 1968. Our Redeemer offers a Christian education from K3 through 8th grade, as well as a pre-school, child care, and a library.   Over 300 students attend our school and learn in a safe and caring atmosphere.  The school’s teaching staff has been publicly recognized for its excellence, high academic standards and quality extra-curricular activities.

We invite you to visit our campus at any time for additional information, a campus tour and we invite you to join us for worship at any of our service times available.