Our Redeemer Lutheran Church Logo

History

 Church-12     Church-11

Church-101927    Survey of Wauwatosa area conducted to validate need for a LCMS congregation.

1928    A small mission church began in a portable frame chapel with 18 children attending the first Sunday School.

May 26, 1930 this mission church organized into a congregation called “The Evangelical Lutheran Church of Our Redeemer of Wauwatosa & Vicinity” which included a Day School.

Church-5-2

1931    Sixteen students attended the first day of school on September 9th in a portable chapel on North Avenue.

1932    The cornerstone was laid on the chapel-school building at 88th & Meinecke; January 3rd the building was dedicated.

1944    Wauwatosa’s resident pastor, Reverend George Brueggemann was installed.

1949    This one room school grew to three classrooms when it consolidated with Elm Grove, Covenant and Beautiful Savior Lutheran Churches.

1950    Due to continued growth and population expansion in the Wauwatosa area, a new house of worship was constructed and dedicated on December 10th, located on the corner of North Avenue and Swan Blvd.

Church-71959    Land was purchased for the location of a new church and school campus at North Avenue and 100th Street.

1966    Ground was broken at North Avenue and 100th Street.

1968    Dedication of the new complex, which included a sanctuary for seating for 650, 13 classrooms, a fully equipped kitchen, a fellowship hall with stage, a gymnasium, a parking lot and specific rooms for lunch, choir, library and accounting.

Church-61987    Ground is broken for a $1.1million dollar addition to the existing building to increase worship and education facilities to make room for many more.

1995    Our Redeemer becomes accredited by NLSA after completing a comprehensive, year-long self-study process.

2002    ORLS becomes re-accredited by the NLSA Commission using the School Improvement Goals model.  School enrollment surpasses 400 students for the first time.

Church-82005    Jubilee 75th celebration year, “Building on the R.O.C.K.”

2010    Our Redeemer’s educational excellence is acknowledged with receipt of “National Exemplary School” by the National Accreditation of Lutheran Schools.

2011    Our Redeemer celebrates 80th anniversary.

2013    Our Redeemer’s educational excellence is acknowledged with a “National Blue Ribbon School” award by the United States Department of Education.

 

Church-3

We look forward to our future and ask God to guide our path as we carry out His will and we continue to share His Word.

 Outside-Church